Sunday, March 14, 2010

Introducing Baraka

Baraka, which means blessing in Arabic, my favorite place for fast food. It's a five minute walk from the dorm, and for 11 pounds, or $2, I can get a large shawerma. Shawerma is shaved meat cooked on a rotisserie served in laffa (taboon) bread or in a sub with tomatoes, pickles, parsley, tahini, and zhug, a spicy red sauce. I hate tomatoes with a passion, but I've learned to tolerate them if they're chopped finely.

There are two shawerma cooks: an old man and a young man. The old man makes small talk and he has stressed several times that he likes Obama. I like the young man better because he's friendly, but he doesn't try to chat with me. He knows that I like my shawerma spicy. The cooks always have bandages on their fingers. Every time that I eat at Baraka, I am acutely aware that a.) they don't wash their hands and b.) there aren't health codes regulating food preparation. Apparently it takes more than that to scare me away from food.


Telephone: 02 7368737

Baraka, 9 El Brazil Street, Zamalek

No comments:

Post a Comment