Thursday, May 20, 2010

Anti-terrorism Commercial

This video was taken from http://www.noterror.info/. Several weeks ago when I was jogging on the treadmill (unbelievable, I know), I saw this commercial, and I had no idea what to think. The commercial is very clear about who suffers from terrorism, but the fact that a commercial discouraging terrorism was broadcast says a lot. Technically, the brand of Islamism that the United States is dealing with today was born in Egypt with Sayyid Qutb, a very influential writer. His ideas have influenced many Islamist groups, including Zawahiri's al-Jihad (aka Egyptian Islamic Jihad) and Osama bin Laden's al-Qaeda. These two groups merged in 2001.

My brain must have fallen asleep. All that I have to do is look around me: poverty, unemployment, disenfranchisement, and oppression. Also, there is a large group of unmarried men because of the marriage crisis, http://www.pbs.org/now/shows/427/Middle-East-Marriage.html. Of course certain sectors of the population are susceptible to radical ideologies, so it's logical that Egypt is waging a public campaign against terrorism in addition to suppressing Islamists. I wonder what will happen when Mubarak dies.

No comments:

Post a Comment