Friday, January 29, 2010

Exploring Downtown Cairo

On Wednesday morning I ventured over the 26th of July Bridge with Drew, another student, and we explored the downtown area north of Tahrir Square. When I was with Elena the day before, I didn't want to walk into this area because it seemed poorer and that made me feel uneasy. It's somewhat sexist, but I felt more at ease walking with a guy.

My initial fears were completely unfounded. I walked through somewhat sketchy areas, but no one made any passes at me. Sure, people tried to get our attention, but no one hassled us. We walked through a bazaar of car parts and then an open-air market with rack after rack of clothing. I would like to go back there to do some shopping. Oh! We successfully bought koushary for three pounds each!

No comments:

Post a Comment