Saturday, January 30, 2010

Pyramids

On Friday I got up close and personal with the pyramids. Before we got off of the bus, I saw a man behaving very strangely. It wasn't until the bus got closer that I realized he was having a seizure. He appeared to be an Egyptian. It was so difficult to watch. I was frustrated because the police didn't do anything. Even his friends seemed unable to do anything for him. I hope that he survived.

On a happier note, I went inside one of the pyramids; granted, the inside was a bit of a let-down. I was expecting to see some artifacts, but we ended up in an empty chamber. There was a sarcophagus, but I imagine that it was a replica. Either way, I still went inside of a pyramid, and most people can't say that.

The pyramids are so much taller than I expected, and the blocks of limestone that the pyramids are made from are absolutely huge. Surprisingly, being at the pyramids didn't feel surreal. I don't recall being blown away by the experience. I think that being in Egypt feels so normal and natural. Of course I'm meant to be in Egypt at this point in my life, so of course I'm at the pyramids. Perhaps this is a part of culture shock? Random comment, but there were no climbing signs on the pyramids, and people were climbing them up to a certain point. I didn't get the chance because our tour guide moved too quickly. Perhaps I'll return.

Before enterting the pyramid, a vendor greeted me and another student, Drew. The vendor gave him souvenirs that he claimed were for free, and he also gave me a small blue scarab bead. The vendor assumed that I was the other student's girlfriend, which was amusing. He also called me an American rose, not realizing that I am one! Caitlin Rose.

No comments:

Post a Comment