Monday, January 25, 2010

Khan El Khalili


We arrived at the dormitory around 7:00pm, an hour before a trip to Khan El Khalili, a famous bazaar, or souk. I basically tossed my suitcase into my room and joined the group of people going on the trip.

You really can smell the spices! I loved all of the brightly colored women's clothing and shiny jewelry and trinkets. Beyond that, I didn't really like it there. There was trash all over the ground. The vendors were extremely pushy, except for the women. If I ever go back, I will try to only buy from women. The Egyptian men try to get your attention by hissing; saying psst; or calling you Julia Roberts, Shakira, or Catherine Zeta Jones. My friend, Chelsea, was asked if she would like an Egyptian husband! It's funny at first, but it does get annoying fast. The vendors are extremely pushy. They need some serious customer service training.

I felt like I was prepared. I avoided making eye contact with the men and ignored them. Eye contact and smiling can be flirty, I think. Also, the key is to not buy anything until you know what something should cost. Despite its drawbacks, I would like to return when I'm more confident and know what I want to buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment