Sunday, January 31, 2010

Laundry - Public Enemey Number One

Several days ago I did laundry--sort of. I decided to wash jeans and my fleece. I turned the dial to cotton and selected the number of spins and water temperature. Next I added the laundry detergent and pressed start. Simple, right?

My first problem was the water. It wouldn't go into the machine. Fortunately, a member of the housekeeping staff showed me how to open the lever attached to the pipe on the wall. Problem solved. An hour and a half later, my clothes had been cleaned. At that point, I realized that the temperatures on the washer were in degrees Celsius. I had just washed my jeans in 100-degree water, so I hung them up in my room to dry so that they wouldn't shrink.

Then I put in a load of darks and remembered to use cold water. I selected a different spin setting just out of curiosity. Also, I used the quick wash option so that it would take half an hour instead of an hour and a half. While the washer cleaned my clothes, I went to the first floor to check out the dryer. I opened it, and three inches of water were in the bottom. Fail. I had to hang all of my darks around my room too, but it wasn't warm enough to actually dry them. I improvised and used my heater.

No comments:

Post a Comment