Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A Trip to Campus and Downtown

On Tuesday I returned to campus in order to get an email account, apply for a residence visa, and buy a bus pass. The bus ride was significantly shorter. We left at 9:30am, and it only took us about 45 minutes to arrive.

After I ran around campus getting things done, I took a bus to Tahrir Square with Elena. We neandered around and bought some shawerma. We also practiced our skills at crossing the street, and I think that this should become an Olympic sport. Phil compared crossing the street to Frogger, and honestly, I feel like a champ every time I make it to the other side of the street in one piece. I've learned that you just have to be confident. When you decide you're going to cross, you go without looking back.

I've taken to walking in the streets. The Egyptians do it, and it just feels natural. The sidewalks are littered with debris, potholes, and animal feces. I stepped in cat shit a couple of days ago. That was the turning point for me.

Back to yesterday, Elena and I actually walked from Tahrir Square, or downtown, back to Zamalek, but not before we enjoyed some shawerma at a place named Canary. We also walked along the Nile. We got lost a couple of times, but we managed. I asked a security guard about al jaami'a amreekeyya, and Elena mentioned Mohamed Thakeb Street, so between the two of us, we communicated where we needed to go.

The food at the dormitory's cafeteria is overpriced, bland, and sometimes cold. I won't eat there anymore. I went to the Metro Market and bought some bread and water, and I also go some bananas from a vendor. I paid 5 pounds per kilo. I'm not sure if that was too much, but I bought half a kilo. I actually went to the Metro Market alone last night, and while I felt somewhat uneasy because I hadn't walked around alone at night, I didn't feel unsafe at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment