Monday, January 25, 2010

That's a Wrap

Before I had a boarding pass with a seat on it, I was bargaining with myself. I would have sat next to two screaming babies without complaining if it guaranteed me a seat. Guess who I ended up sitting with. That's right--baby Omar. I was so pleased to actually be on the plane that I helped entertain him so that he wouldn't cry. I swear that I'm not lying! I tickled his toes, smiled at him, and talked to him.

After an eleven-hour flight, the plane landed in Cairo. I found my luggage and the driver, and then I used the ATM. There were about fifteen AUC students on the plane, and it took at least an hour to wait for everyone to get their visas. I got mine ahead of time, and it made my life easier. Another student, Phil, actually got his student residence visa beforehand, and I would highly recommend this because it is less expensive and more convenient.

I was impressed that we all fit into a minibus with our luggage. Two random men helped the driver load the luggage, and afterwards they asked for baksheesh, or a tip. They were persistent, and I think that it made all of us feel awkard. I gave one of them a dollar, and another student gave the other one some Egyptian pounds.

The ride to the Zamalek dormitory took at least another hour. The traffic is really bad in Cairo, but the driving isn't as crazy as I thought that it would be. Yes, drivers honk a lot to communicate and they ignore the lines, but there seem to be some unwritten driving guidelines that most drivers follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment