Friday, January 29, 2010

Lost in Zamalek

On Thursday morning I went to campus to find my classes. It sounds simpler than it actually was, but I eventually figured it out. Afterwards, I took a bus downtown with Phil and Drew. We walked--actually, I walked and they strolled through the streets. While we were downtown, I tried some freshly squeezed orange juice, and it was delicious! We eventually crossed a bridge back to Zamalek, and it turned out that we were on the southern-most end of the island.

After a few more hours, it began to get dark, and we ended up taking a taxi back to the dormitory. Aisha and Dalia, two Egyptian students, told us that it should only cost us five pounds to go from the Cairo Opera House to the dormitory. I handed the driver five pounds, and he got all angry. He got out of the cab and everything. We eventually gave him more money to shut him up, but we got ripped off. I won't be taking another taxi any time soon. I realize that we still only paid three dollars for a fifteen-minute ride, but the idea behind it bothers me. I don't want to be significantly overcharged because I'm a foreigner.

No comments:

Post a Comment